Seattle has been oh, so beautiful these last few weeks. As summer approaches, all I can think about are the wonderful activities that end up taking over my calendar. The days are long and often spent with friends and family. The PNW, has so much to offer; kayaking, camping, hiking, music festivals, BBQs, and more.
Yesterday, I was invited to meet up with some of my nearest and dearest friends. The time was spent eating, drinking, catching up, and laughing hysterically (as always).
Between these individuals, a common “drink of choice” tends to be a gin and tonic. Cool, crisp, refreshing….and, in my mind, the epitome of summer.
As a contribution to the event, I wanted to create a spin to this classic (and favorite) cocktail. Although, it is impossible to beat the original, I have to say that this embodied the same traits: cool, crisp, and refreshing. Ahhhh, sips of summer…..life is good.
Blackberry, Grapefruit, and Mint- Gin & Tonics
- Servings: 4-6
- Time: 10mins
- Difficulty: easy
- 8-12 oz of dry gin
- 12-18oz of tonic water
- 8-12 Tbsp grapefruit juice (or juice from 2 medium grapefruits)
- 20-25 blackberries
- 16-24 mint leaves
- (optional: for a sweeter drink- 4-6 tsp of sugar)
- Set out 4-6 lowball cocktail glasses
- In each glass, add 3-4 blackberries and 3-4 mint leaves (+ 1 tsp of sugar for a sweeter beverage)
- Muddle the berries and leaves until paste forms
- Add 2 Tbsp grapefruit juice to each glass
- Add 2 oz gin to each glass
- Add 2-3 oz tonic water to each glass
- Add 2-3 ice cubes per glass
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge and mint leaves